Alaska Statute 08.08.210(d) - The 10 Month Rule
A.S. 08.08.210. Who may practice law.
(d) Employees of the Department of Law, the Public Defender Agency, and the Office of Public Advocacy, whose activities would constitute the practice of law under this chapter and under Alaska Bar Rules are required to obtain a license to practice law in Alaska no later than 10 months following the commencement of their employment.
The following documents must be submitted:
1 - Written request from a senior staff member or supervising attorney to verify practice under A.S. 08.08.210(d), including the start of employment date;
2 - Letter from applicant stating that:
- he/she has never failed the Alaska bar exam; and
- that he/she has never failed the bar exam administered by any U.S. state or D.C., or that despite failure, he/she has passed a bar exam administered by any U.S. state or D.C;
3 - Certificate of graduation from an accredited law school (if applicant has applied for admission, we will accept a certificate already on file with the bar); The Certificate of Graduation is an original letter, on school
letterhead, verifying your degree and the date received. If the school
uses a seal, it will also include the school seal;
4 - Certificate of good standing from each jurisdiction admitted; must have been issued within the previous three months.
The authority to practice terminates in 10 months or upon failure to pass any bar exam administered by any U.S. state or D.C.
Board of Governors Interpretation Regarding 10 Month Practice
1. The 10 month period commences on the day the individual starts working for the Department of Law, the Public Defender Agency, or the Office of Public Advocacy.
2. An individual may practice law for 10 months total for either the Department of Law, the Public Defender Agency or the Office of Public Advocacy.
3. An individual may exclude from the 10 month period time away from employment for medical or family leave, for the two days of the Alaska Bar Examination, or for unpaid leave from the individual's position.